The bells

Brunswick cathedral's chiming with its 12 bells is one of the most important ones in Germany.Ten of its medieval bells have been preserved over the vicissitudes of time. In 1502 it was the Dutch craftsman Gerhardus van Wou, one of the most renown bell-founders of his time, who founded the chiming's three largest bells and probably the 4th one, too. As there are Blasius, or Salvator ( tone a ) weighing 4300 kgs with a diametre of 1.93 mtrs., Maria ( tone h ) and Johannes ( tone cis ) and probably Thomas bell, which however fell down in 1660. In 1989/90 it was refounded in the bell foundry Rinker from Sinn and was refitted into the cathedral's chiming under the name of Thomas Beckett.

In April 2006 only the cathedral's three biggest bells for the 1st time since more than 500 years have left their usual place in the bell-frame to be restored. Cracks in the bells due to material fatigue had to be welded and refilled.

The bells ring every day 10 minutes before the 5-minute-prayer as well as 30 and 10 minute before the services. On special occasions the full chiming is to be heard all over the city. Visits of the bells are possible within a guided tour, yet on appointment only.

links

pictures of the bells


removal of the bells
removal of the bells

refitting of the bells
refitting of the bells

detail of the Blasius bell
detail of the Blasius bell